Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Vincent van Gogh : Famous Line

  • Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.
  • Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence.
  • I can't work without a model. I won't say I turn my back on nature ruthlessly in order to turn a study into a picture, arranging the colors, enlarging and simplifying; but in the matter of form I am too afraid of departing from the possible and the true.
  • It is not the language of painters but the language of nature which one should listen to the feeling for the things themselves, for reality, is more important than the feeling for pictures.
  • I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate.
  • I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.
  • The best way to know God is to love many things.
  • The more I think about it, the more I realize there is nothing more artistic that to love others.
  • If one is master of one thing and understands one thing well, one has at the same time, insight into and understanding of many things.
  • Conscience is a man's compass.
  • If you hear a voice within you saying, ''You are not a painter,'' then by all means paint� and that voice will be silenced.
  • There is no blue without yellow and without orange.
  • A good picture is equivalent to a good deed
  • If boyhood and youth are but vanity, must it not be our ambition to become men?
  • Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model.
  • What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
  • Even the knowledge of my own fallibility cannot keep me from making mistakes. Only when I fall do I get up again.
  • But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.
  • Painting is a faith, and it imposes the duty to disregard public opinion.
  • The Mediterranean has the color of mackerel, changeable I mean. You don't always know if it is green or violet, you can't even say it's blue, because the next moment the changing reflection has taken on a tint of rose or gray.
  • The best way to know God is to love many things.
  • But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.
  • It always strikes me, and it is very peculiar, that when we see the image of indescribable and unutterable desolation - of loneliness, of poverty and misery, the end of all things, or their extreme - then rises in our mind the thought of God.
  • Keep your love of nature, for that is the true way to understand art more and more.
  • Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.
  • When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home